6/19/2010

10k

Our team ran a great race today! I expected it to be difficult for me as I have a low tolerance for temperatures above 65, and that is truly not an exaggeration. Dare I say it exceeded my expectations?

I felt sick most of the race, particularly after mile 4. I even threw up (3 times!) less than .1 mile from the finish line. On top of that, my iPod froze somewhere around mile 4.5, and it was just getting to the best set in my playlist! (Last night I took the time to make sure that my favorite songs would be playing after I reached mile 4 to help keep me motivated to finish in the hot, humid sunshine.) Also, I really had to go (#1) from the time the race started. Needless to say, I was terribly uncomfortable today.

After I lost my music I started thinking about a lot of things, which I don't think everyone cares to hear all about. Naturally, I thought about why I was running in this race when I knew I would have a hard time handling it. I thought about the grueling training schedule for our team for the next few months and how much I hated running. Then I saw someone from my church run past me and I thought about how I needed to get on the ball with raising money for Blood: Water Missions. At about this time I got to the last water station. While I held the cup of water in my hand for a moment I thought about how we take for granted having clean, fresh water almost any time we want it. I thought about how cool it is that I am part of a team that is working to raise money and awareness to provide clean drinking water to people in Africa. I also thought about how thankful I am that Chrystal had the heart and vision to bring this team together for a common purpose to bring glory to God by serving others.

Again I say, great work, team!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, April. That is so cool what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your reflections from the race.

    ReplyDelete