7/22/2010

Set Backs

We started this marathon madness at the end of February. Since then I have had more "sickness", seen more doctors, and taken more medicine than ever before in my life. If going from "couch to marathon" in 8 months wasn't bad enough, I've had about 10 weeks off due to injuries.

In April I had a bulging disk in my lower back. Not a running injury but the pain it caused definitely made the running impossible. I got 5 weeks off from running and 8 weeks of physical therapy. In June (one week before completing my PT for the previous injury) I had some sort of "attack". I thought it was a heart attack. Mike took me to the ER - first ever trip to the ER. Tests showed it wasn't a heart attack BUT my heart does have an atypical rhythm that I had to get checked out. My doctor gave me another 4 weeks off from running and a referral to a cardiologist. The cardiologist said I could go back to running, he thinks my heart is fine but just to be sure I'm scheduled for an echo on Monday and while I'm there I have to pick up a heart monitor that I will be wearing for the next two weeks. Doesn't that sound fun!

As for the attack - we thought it was low potassium then thought it was severe reflux then thought it was stress - all of which may have played a part but probably not the real culprit. This week I've had two more attacks and now believe it's my gallbladder. I went back to my doctor on Wednesday and he feels confident that the gallbladder is the real problem. Of course, as Mike pointed out, a few weeks ago he was confident that several other things were the problem so who knows. I go tomorrow morning for an ultrasound to confirm and then most likely will go directly to surgery to have it removed.

Fun times.

Again, before running the only medical history I had was the occasional flu and a c-section. You'd think something like exercise would make you more healthy not more sick. It wouldn't be as frustrating if any of these were running injuries. No doubt running does crazy stuff to your body but none of these "injuries" have been directly related to the intense pounding that is running. It's crazy! I feel like I'm falling apart all at once - all while trying to "live a better story" and "do something for someone else".

Training for a marathon in 8 months, when there is virtually no physical activity in your life to begin with, is tough - like nearly impossible. But, it is doable. It takes hard work and dedication and lots of water but it can be done. When you factor in the injuries and 10 weeks off and now a probable surgery, I don't think its humanly possible. I ran a 10k in June - 6.2 miles. Since then I've only been able to run twice. Next week I'm supposed to be able to run 10 miles. 10 miles.

At this point, there is absolutely no way that I can do this. No way - short of a miracle - that I can fit in the amount of training required to do this marathon in November. But maybe that's the point.

We keep reminding ourselves that this journey is not about us, it's not even about the running. The point of all of this is that there are people in Africa who are sick and dying all because they need water. Water - something we take so much for granted.

I can't do this - not by myself, not without God's intervention. I think He wants it that way. I think He wants me to depend on Him, to know that I'm helpless and in WAY over my head and that He is the only rescue. It's not about me or what I can do - it's about God and what He can do. He can do a lot more than I can.

Chrystal Murphy

1 comment:

  1. Phil 4:13: "I CAN do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me." He will hold you. Strengthen you. Comfort you. Heal you. And run (or walk) with you.

    ReplyDelete