8/11/2010

It's Business, It's Business Time...

First of all, if you don't know what the title's from, I'm sorry for what you've missed out on.

This marathon is on November 13. Two weeks ago our 16 week training program began. Of course, we've been "training" since February when we first decided to do this. But that "training" was just to prepare us for the real training. Crazy, I know. Over the past months I've gone through different cycles. I'd be really dedicated and committed for a few weeks and then I'd have a few weeks of being "too busy" (aka too lazy).

To be fair, it wasn't all laziness. I had several injuries to work through too - bulging disc in my lower back, supposed heart problems that turned out to be gallbladder. Two weeks ago when the rest of our team was starting the 16 week training program, I was having my gallbladder removed. Nonetheless, the up and down cycles are over - it's business time.

The time has come for unwavering dedication and commitment to running my legs off. Three days a week of running between 4 and 10 miles each day. Plus one long run every Saturday morning ranging from 10 to 20 miles. Over the next 13.5 weeks I'll be running about 450 miles. (I panicked a little just now.)

BUT, there are two sides to this story. The running is definitely the part that affects me the most - running 450 miles in 13.5 weeks is life-changing. Period. In several ways, for several reasons, this running is making me a different (and hopefully) better person. I've said it before and the deeper I get into this story the more it becomes true - there is something about sacrificing in a physical manner for the benefit of someone else that affects a person in a deeply emotional way.

However, running my legs off by itself does nothing to help people in Africa find clean water. The second part of this story is fund raising. And, like I said, it's business time. Let the fund raising begin. So far our team has raised about $1500. That is 1500 Africans that will have clean water for one year. That's awesome! But, we have a long way to go to reach our goal of raising $10,000.

This is how all the sane people who are not running a marathon can get involved. We keep saying "it's not about the running, it's about the water." Raising money to provide clean water is the most important thing that we are doing. One dollar provides one African with clean water for one year. Everyone can give something - even if it's just $1. $1 makes a HUGE difference - a life-changing difference - for one person.

How can you step into this story with us? What can you sacrifice to better the life (perhaps save the life) of someone on the other side of the world?

Chrystal Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment